Investing in a domestic solar power system in Boise is one of the best things you can do for both the environment and for your finances. Although the upfront costs of acquiring the system may be pricey at first, the subsequent savings it will provide would be well worth it.
One thing you need to make sure of is that your system is working efficiently. That means it’s not only meeting your power requirements, but that it’s also saving you as much as money as possible. The following are several things you can do to ensure that you’re getting your money’s worth:
Make sure sunlight is reaching your panels
If your panels aren’t working as efficiently as when you first installed them, perhaps they just aren’t receiving the maximum amount of sunshine. This may be due to excessive dirt, debris, overhanging trees, or bird droppings which can prevent your panels from receiving the most solar output as possible. Keep your panels away from shaded areas and always make sure to properly maintain them and keep them clean to avoid these issues.
Maximize your energy use during daylight hours
Since solar panels generate their energy from sunlight, it’s natural that they’ll produce the most energy during the day when the sun is out. It makes sense that you should use as much of this free energy as possible by fulfilling most of your energy needs during these hours. Here are some things you can do it:
- Use appliances that rely on rechargeable batteries so that you can charge them during the day then utilize their battery power at night.
- Precool and preheat your appliances (e.g. air conditioning units) to your desired temperature during the afternoon so that you can turn them off at night.
- Use timers when turning on appliances that are heavily energy-reliant like dishwashers or washing machines. Allow them to operate during daylight hours like while you’re running errands or are at work. The timer should automatically switch them off.
- Recharge your electronic gadgets during the day then unplug them at night.
Use only one device at a time and use less electricity in general
Simply because solar energy may be free, it doesn’t mean that you should abuse it. There’s only a limited number of devices that you can charge and utilize for free, depending on the size of your panels and the amount of power particular devices consume. Reducing your energy consumption and using only one device at the time will help you keep your energy bills low. Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Turn off all lights and appliances when you aren’t using them. This includes completely unplugging them rather than using standby modes, which still uses power.
- Air-dry laundry rather than using an electric-powered dryer.
- Set your air conditioner at the correct temperature (25°C).
- Use fans rather than air conditioners to cool your home.
- Properly insulate your house and fix any leaks.
- Time your showers to no more than five minutes.
A solar power system is a worthy investment that will allow you to save on energy costs as well as save the environment.